20 young people from around the world have been awarded scholarships to participate in The Youth Assembly, thanks to generous sponsorship from bp, a global energy company.
This scholarship supports the participation in this incredible professional development experience, as well as hotel accommodations, some meals and a travel stipend. All scholarship winners are alumni of the AFS Global STEM Academy program, a full-scholarship study abroad program for active global citizens who are energized to help solve some of today’s biggest global challenges that has been run for years by AFS Intercultural Programs and bp.
Meet the scholarship winners and the two Program Tracks they will join:
Includes two days of international affairs activities (seminars, site visits to UN permanent mission and NGOs), and three day attendance at the Youth Assembly. Selected scholars are:
- Julian Moehwald, creator of a project on urban insect-friendly gardens, from Germany
- Matheus Santos, Municipal Youth Coordinator working on the elaboration and execution of public policies for young people in the amazon rainforest region, from Brazil
- María Fernanda Reyes Corte, working on local projects around sustainable packaging and inclusion, from Mexico
- Ale Payán, an activist involved in several local projects around quality education, climate action and gender equality, from Mexico
- Andrey Lucas Dias Barros, an academic researcher who volunteers in several intercultural education initiatives, from Brazil
- Neil Maru, helped inaugurate a community library in Mumbai, from the UK
- Jose Carrillo, works with leading energy companies from the private sector in Houston advocating for climate action, from the US
- Piotr Sokolinski, studies Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge, from the UK
- Taanish B, works on a project to reduce the carbon footprint in the personal mobility sector, funded by the National Youth Council in Singapore
- Ebru Ertürk, founder of a local “Rotaract Club”, a youth organization of “Rotary”, from Germany
- Bria Bria, lead organizer for a scholarship pageant for local youth, from the US
Intended for young people interested in social impact, this scholarship package includes two days of social impact workshops at the Center for Social Impact and Research at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, and three day attendance at the Youth Assembly. Selected scholars are:
- Zeyad Tolba, serves his community by organizing events promoting solutions for sustainable cities through robotics and artificial intelligence, from Egypt
- Danielle Downes, an engineering student involved in the optimization of several initiatives for sustainable energy, from Trinidad and Tobago
- Eva Rippel, studies landscape architecture focused on green urban spaces, while volunteers in several initiatives for sustainable living, from Germany
- Abhinav Agarwal, member of the Junior Academy of the New York Academy of Sciences, who led his team to win the NYAS Space Challenge, from India
- Manvi Sinvhal, creator of the Opening Doors for Youth: a virtual volunteer-based English language initiative for youth in Jordan, from the US
- Michaela Viljoen, runs a local project producing and distributing reusable pads for school girls who can’t afford them, from South Africa
- Alif Nurul Izzati, involved in local projects aiming to raise awareness on the SDGs, from Indonesia
- Sarah Lind, advocates for young activism through local initiatives working to reduce inequalities, from South Africa.
Congratulations to all scholarship winners!
We are dedicated to making the Youth Assembly a diverse, inclusive, accessible event that includes young people from as many countries and communities as possible. This cannot be done without the support of generous Youth Assembly Sponsors. Find out more.
bp is reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, they are leading the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more sustainable methods for solving the energy challenge. bp is a diverse team of engineers, scientists, traders and business professionals determined to find answers to problems that must be solved.